Wednesday, March 9, 2011

more on Savannah


















So last week we drove to Savannah Thursday afternoon and spent the evening and all day Friday before returning home late Friday night. Josh was there for a conference that was held Friday and so I was left to entertain the kids. First I will say that Savannah does not offer much for kids at this time of year. However, it is full of candy and open parks, so that sufficed. I thought I would take them on the trolley, but they weren't thrilled with the idea so why do that when it is so expensive anyway. We did a lot of walking, looking at monuments, and there was one particular park we played in for a good portion of the day.

We ate lunch at The Lady & Son's of Paula Deen fame. I must say that it was quite good, but at the same time I was disappointed and this is why. Last time we were in Savannah it was 2001. This was before Paula Deen was on the Food Network. We went to the restaurant then and I remember it being SO good. Well, now they have changed locations and it all seemed so automated, and the experience was just not the same 'taking the elevator to dine on the third floor' as it was in her original smaller restaurant. I enjoyed the food I will say, although I am sure it was better 10 years ago.

As the day went on the wind picked up. We spent a lot of time down on River Street, which is literally right on the river. As it neared 5:30 and it was getting colder and colder (remember I thought the high was going to be sunny and 70's and dressed accordingly) we began to stop into more and more shops to get out of the wind. One of these was Savannah Bee Company. Oh my goodness, what a delight and a great find. They had a kids corner for the kids to play in so I was able to shop around a bit. I loved everything and ended up buying hand and nail salve, soap, and 4 different kinds of honey. I never really thought about there being different flavors of honey before, but wow, I tried several at their honey tasting bar and I must say that it was hard to narrow it down to 4 flavors. They also had this cookbook, by Gena Knox, which has some recipes that feature their honey, and such beautiful photography. I just ordered it today and I am so excited to get it in a few days.

Yesterday was a sad day as we finished our caramel and pecan popcorn, but I still have 1/2 of a praline left which I intend on eating this afternoon! Hopefully I'll be back soon with some actual sewing stuff. The picture of the kids was taken on Friday on some (very steep) steps that take you down from the main street level to River Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment